Juno Plus Podcast 57: Tornado Wallace
Tornado Wallace turns in eighty minutes of sparkling house both old and new for our latest podcast.
Emerging under the Tornado Wallace name in 2010, Melbourne resident Lewie Day cast off his previously techier focus for an approach to sub 120bpm house music that took its cue from KDJ and Theo Parrish, cloaked in a production sheen that was unmistakably his own. Thanks to a succession of well loved 12"s, such as Paddlin' and Underground Sugar Caves for the Delusions of Grandeur and Instruments of Rapture labels, Tornado Wallace became synonymous with the sample heavy, pitched down style of house music that was so popular in 2010-2011.
The affable Australian producer seemed to drop out of the spotlight last year, looking to catch up on The Simpsons, as well as build his remix profile with notable commisions for Giegling, Matthew Dear and Recloose, but returned in triumphant fashion with a debut release for Andrew Hogge's excellent ESP Institute. The artfully presented (not to mention punned) three tracker Thinking Allowed demonstrated a subtle shift in the Tornado Wallace sound, less submerged and more focused on warm, rich sounds.
Tornado Wallace fans will be happy to hear this is not the last we'll hear of the bearded Australian as the year progresses; soon to arrive via the Soft Rocks affiliated label Kinfolk is the Moon Plain EP from the Coober Pedy University Band, a project the producer started with fellow Melbournite Tom Moore. Subsequent to that there will be a Tornado Wallace record through Tim Sweeney's Beats In Space label as well as further ESP Institute output.
This mix was recorded shortly before Day jets off for a two month tour of Europe and North America, but he still found some time to fill us in on the exact meaning of krautback, the length of his beard and crucially, what he considers to be one of The Simpson's most under-rated episodes.
You can read that here: bit.ly/10OnA3x
1. Maxmillion Dunbar - Coins For The Canopy / RVNG Intl
2. Joshua Iz & Dubwise - Magnetron (Simoncino Remix) / Eclectic Avenue
3. Last Rhythm - Last Rhythm (Ambient Version) / American Records
4. Xpansions - Elevation (Club Mix) / Optimism
5. Black Riot - Warlock (Rubber Dub) / Fourth Floor
6. Toni Scott - That's How I'm Living (R.T.Z. Mix) / Champion
7. Psyche - Neurotic Behaviour (Mayday Reproduction Mix) / Transmat
8. Liaison-D - Future FJP / Music Man
9. The Emperor Machine - Like A Machine (Andrew Weatherall Remix) / Southern Fried Records
10. Haules Baules - Creeper (Hardway Bros Remix) Forthcoming
11. Marquis Hawkes - Teetotal Acid / Dixon Avenue Basement Jams
12. The Abstract Eye - Grandfather Fire / Eglo
13. Abstraxion - Dark Knight (It’s A Fine Line hellblaue version) / Marketing Music
14. Lauer - Macsat Ring Down (Lee Douglas remix) / Beats In Space
15. Juju & Jordash - Dubsex / Dekmantel
16. Fuzzy Logic - Obsession (William Orbit Remix) / Guerilla Recordings
follow deepgoa on Shuffler.fm, Tumblr, SoundCloud, RSS and MixCloud